Here are some quick hotel tips:
1. Check to see where the emergency exits are and familiarize yourself with the hotel emergency evacuation plans. Do this immediately.
2. Do not open the door for unexpected visitors.
3. Before going to bed, make sure that the deadbolt on the door is locked and all sliding doors or windows are locked and secured.
4. If the room or hotel does not have a safe, lock your valuables in a good piece of luggage, or bring them with you. Do this whenever you leave the room and keep your luggage and room keys with you at all times. Also, place the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door so that no one enters your room while you are away. Again, if you can use the hotel safe, do so, because even though you may have put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door, the maid may have instructions to enter your room to tidy it up. In China, most hotels will have a Floor Attendant. He usually knows when you are coming and going and will also be aware of how many people are staying in the room
5. When you leave the room, leave the television on (when possible) a little louder than normal and put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. I never give my key to reception, but this is your choice. If you take the key, keep it in a safe place. If possible remove the key from the I.D. tag so that if the key is lost, the finder cannot make his way to your room and clean it out.
6. Bring a card with the hotel address and phone number on it (separate from the key) when you leave for the day. I recommend this in case you get lost or find yourself too far away from the hotel to walk back and have to take a cab, you can just show the driver the card, and he will know where to take you. Do not put your name or room number on the card.
7. If you are happy with the service each day, leave small change and/or chocolate on the pillow for the maids. Do not try to give it to the maids personally, as in most cases they will not take it.
The Internet is available in many 4 and 5 star hotels. Prices can vary anywhere from $5 for 15 minutes to $5 for 1 hour''s time. Uploading pictures and files is quite easy but may take some time.
In addition to Chinese language TV broadcast, some English TV programs are available in many hotels via satellite. Some local TV stations also provide English news and other programs in English. In Guangzhou, you can watch the evening news in English at 7:30 pm and again after movies or programs around 11:00 pm. early in the morning (7:30 am), you will find ABC news and CBS news broadcasts from the U.S. on TVB Pearl and ATV World. These two channels from Hong Kong carry world and local news, including news from Mainland China. During the night, you will find American programs and good movies. At most 4 and 5 star hotels, you may also get HBO, CNN and more.